Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Highest Amount of Supercharged Boost on Stock Internals?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member JDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2001
    Posts
    86
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    65,000 of mostly city boosted driving (3.5yr).

    My personnal preference would be crv pulley (sorry Jim) 10Min job to change. Of course I have a big friggin air gun. If you do not have a impact gun you can make a removal tool out of a piece of pipe real cheap no welding requied.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member CROM's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 1999
    Posts
    1,202
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jim,

    3 hours for a first timer installing the stepper....hehehehehe, I proved that one wrong and I'm not your average guru on this board.

    3 hours perhaps if I had all the tools, gadgets, and luck necessary to make everything go smoothly. And you will need more than one person to do the install. I had 2 people helping me most of the time and that made things go a lot smoother.

    I figure for the "average" person the stepper takes "atleast" 6 hours to do. I remember a lot of people on this board taking a day to replace their tensioner pulleys and belts [img]wink.gif[/img]

    however, if I was told every little step needed in the replacement of the pulley, yes, I could probably have done it in 3 hours or less. Heck, I could do it in less than 2 hours now.

    I need to get together those instructions for installing the stepper the way I did it.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 16, 2002 01:16 AM: Message edited by: CROM ]</font>

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Having lots of practice at swapping the crank pulley (and not having AC), it takes me about 30 minutes to swap crank pulleys.

    Without the proper tools you may never get it off.

    I found that the CRV Crank pulley on a GSR actually underdrives the AC as well as the PS. The Alt is the only overdriven accessorie.

    Technically, the stepper pulley is a better way, but don't forget the extra 1-2psi boost the CRV pulley provides over the stepper pulley.

    I see 12psi on the boost gauge and have a very open, cat-less, straight through exhaust.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member vactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2000
    Posts
    318
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor=""><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by hypa:


    I let off throttle when 3 fireballs shot from my tailpipe and stayed burning on the road (confimed by a friend who was behind me [img]wink.gif[/img] ).

    When I got the car home, I pulled the plugs and everything was fine. I'll be testing compression tonight, but I suspect that the motor will be fine. It will be back to 6psi for me though.
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>


    sounds like a blown catalytic converter. seems you might be running quite rich. check the cat, i BETCHA it went out the tailpipe.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    JDR,

    No offense taken. I never said that the alternator stepper pulley route was easier... just a better way.
    Adding a CRV crank pulley increases the alternator speed, which over the long term, will create additional heat and cause premature failure. You will also speed up the A/C compressor, which creates more parasitic drag. The power steering pulley will be slowed somewhat, which will change the steering feel slightly. Lastly, increased shearing forces will be present due to the higher blower speeds, so the chance of belt slippage between the alternator and blower increases.
    The stepper pulley does not change ANY accessory drive speeds, so no additional stresses are imposed. In addition, the larger sized "inner" groove provides more belt wrap around the pulley surface, thus negating the greater potential for belt slippage due to increased blower speeds.

    The only possible "negative" one can say about the stepper pulley is it MAY take longer to install. The typical install time for a stepper pulley by a "first timer" is about 3 hours... usually less.
    As for the ten minute crank pulley install... JDR, I believe that is a bit of an exaggeration. If you can remove the wheel/tire, remove the lower splash-shield, loosen and remove the power steering belt, loosen the A/C belt, unbolt the engine mount attached to the A/C bracket and the framerail, loosen the upper driver's side engine mount in order to LOWER the engine slightly in relation to the engine bay, remove the A/C belt, loosen the lower JRSC idler pulley and remove the alternator belt, remove the crank pulley, replace all three belts, and then re-install all parts in the reverse order in TEN MINUTES... then I really need to hire you.

    Now, just to eliminate any flames here (since one cannot convey emotion accurately over the internet)... I am NOT trying to pick on you JDR, nor am I angered by your response. I am just offering a more realistic understanding of the time required to install a CRV crank pulley compared to a stepper pulley... and for someone who has not ever done either job, I suspect the difference in time between the two tasks is about an hour... and if they struggle to remove the crank bolt, and have to spend half a day either finding and purchasing the proper tools for the job or making something that works out of household items, the crank pulley task will actually be longer.

    By the way... to those who may have a JR crank pulley upgrade: Was it necessary to replace ALL three drive belts, or were the P/S and A/C grooves on the pulley identical to those on the original crank pulley ??? I ask this because I have never installed one... and if in fact there were the same, this would reduce the installation time of the replacement crank pulley dramatically.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member exciv2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 3rd, 2002
    Posts
    164
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think you should make a stepper pulley for the SOHCs jim! Not sure if there is enough room, or how we could do it, but come skiing and you can measure my car for tests and stuff [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, making a stepper pulley for the SOHC cars would require a complete belt re-arrangement and the creation of some new bracketry... which is far more than I am willing to do. You will have to use the crank pulley or swap to a smaller blower pulley if you want more boost.

    Can I still come out and ski with you ???

    Greg,
    How about measuring those the A/C grooves again. I compared a GSR and a CRV crank pulley today and the CRV A/C groove seems to be about 1/4" larger in diameter... and the P/S is WAY smaller than the GSR pulley.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Greg,
    One more thing: Did I understand you correctly when you said you are reading 12 psi ???
    Are you saying that you ONLY changed from the GSR crank pulley to the CRV crank pulley and went from 7 psi to 12 psi ?!?

  9. #19
    Inactive Member 217gsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah Jim, now that you mention it, I do get 10 psi sometimes from your pulley. I thought when I bought it that it was a 9psi pulley. But I have NO problems with an additional 1 psi!! [img]wink.gif[/img]

    When I had my dyno, they also read 10 psi some of the time.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member cpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 24th, 2000
    Posts
    486
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor=""><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 217gsr:
    Yeah Jim, now that you mention it, I do get 10 psi sometimes from your pulley. I thought when I bought it that it was a 9psi pulley. But I have NO problems with an additional 1 psi!! [img]wink.gif[/img]

    When I had my dyno, they also read 10 psi some of the time.
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    So what were your dyno results with the new pulley and setup, since you were already pretty high at 6 psi?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •